During the excursion we will hike for about 8/10 kilometers following the trail leading through the vast expanse of volcanic desert resembling a lunar landscape. The tour will be crowned with a wonderful view of Mount Etna’s summit craters.
- The first part of the tour from Rifugio Sapienza (1900 meters) to 2500 meters will take place with the cable car service provided by Funivia dell’Etna.
- After that we will start our hike on the volcanic desert reaching the recent lava flows of 2017 and 2019.
- We will admire a breathtaking view on majestic Valle del Bove, a vast depression generated by the collapse of an ancient volcanic building.
- We will climb the volcanic cone generated during 2001 eruption. The view from the edge of that crater is simply breathtaking! From there we can admire the summit craters, flank craters located on the southern slopes of volcano, view on the Valle del Bove and extraordinary panorama of the Ionian Coast from Syracuse to Taormina.
- After that we will go inside the 2001 crater where we will have e quick lunch break sitting on still hot lava rocks.
- We will return to Rifugio Sapienza area running down the sandy slopes of Rocca Sabbiosa looking at the extraordinarily perfect forms of Silvestri Craters (Crateri Silvestri). This is going to be the fun part of the tour!
YOU SHOULD BRING: HIKING BOOTS AND HIGH SOCKS, WINDPROOF JACKET, SWEATSHIRT, SUN HAT, WATER MIN. 1,5 LITER, BAG LUNCH. THERE’S A POSSIBILITY TO RENT A HIKING BOOTS
NOTE: THIS EXCURSION , GIVEN THE ALTITUDE AND THE RELATIVE HIGH MOUNTAIN WEATHER CONDITIONS IS RECOMMENDED FOR PEOPLE IN A STATE OF GOOD PHYSICAL HEALTH. NOT ADAPTED FOR SMALL KIDS.
- PERIOD: ALL YEAR
- DIFFICULTY: MEDIUM
- DURATION: 5/6 HOURS
- DEPARTURE TIME: 8:30/9:00 AM
- DEPARTURE TOWN: CATANIA
- ALTITUDE: 1900 – 2700 MSL
- LANGUAGES: ENGLISH, ITALIAN, POLISH
- ADULT: €90,00
- TRANSFER FROM TAORMINA OR OTHER TOWNS – POSSIBLE FOR ADDITIONAL FEE
- LICENSED HIKING GUIDE SERVICE
- TRANSFER FROM YOUR ACCOMMODATION IN CATANIA
- CABLE CAR TICKET
- HIKING POLES